I wanted to pass on this information I received from ICLMA Board Member Jackie Farley. There’s a scam email going around from a “Alex Fiks” and she wanted to share what happened when she contacted him…
- The email came directly to my yahoo account and not thru my Wise Women website. That is odd but not unheard of.
- He wanted unspecified services, was attending an unspecified conference in an unspecified location.
- He was obviously from an unspecified country and his English language skills were odd.
- Once I started asking for specifics, he started talking about needing a quick answer and payment. I asked for payment up front on his credit card and he wrote back that he would pay all my fees up front but he needed me to process his credit card for other travel involving another party.
- I could have gone one more step which I think would have involved my bank account or credit card but decided to cut him off there.
- Once I sent him a no, I received the same original email this morning as I am sure he is trying to scam other concierge.
Don't fall for these traps! At the end of the day, they're looking to get your bank account details, or scam you into buying merchandise for them (that you won't get paid for). Others are looking to steal your identity.
So stay safe everyone!
Katharine and Jackie